Who We Are
We are WellChild – the national charity for sick children. Our aim is simple – to provide practical and emotional support to sick children, young people and their families throughout the UK.
There are more than 100,000 children in Britain living with complex long-term health conditions and the number is growing year on year. WellChild provides these children and their families with the support they so desperately need and is not available to them elsewhere.
We believe that:
- All children and young people- especially those with serious illnesses and long term or complex care needs – should have the best quality of care whatever their diagnosis, health needs, circumstances or geographical location.
- All children and young people should have access to high quality services which meet their ongoing and changing needs.
- All children and young people should be cared for at home wherever and whenever possible, and must have the opportunity to be involved in all decisions relating to their care.
- The views of parents and carers should be heard
- Seriously ill children and young people – including their parents and carers – should receive the high quality support they require
- Investment to improve the opportunities for future generations of children is essential.
We are focused on a number of projects to ensure that the physical and emotional need of the UK’s increasing numbers of seriously ill children are being cared for appropriately.
We have WellChild Children’s Nurses, Helping Hands home improvement projects for seriously sick children and fund research to look into how we can help these vulnerable children now and in the future. We are campaigning for changes to be made to better children’s healthcare as well as investing in new projects which will engage with families and provide them with direct support and essential information.
To make this happen we have a skilled team of staff at our Cheltenham HQ, a committed Board of Trustees, some essential expertise through the dedicated members of our advisory panels, dedicated volunteers, the profile of our celebrity supporters and a supportive Patron in Prince Harry.
All of this – together with the generosity and support of members of the public right across the UK – contributes to the growing success of WellChild.
Meet the WellChild team and see how we all play a part in striving for our goal together.