Our strategy for giving children and young people with serious health needs the best chance to thrive. 2018-2023
PRIORITY 1: HOME IS BEST
Our plan to overcome barriers to hospital discharge.
- Increase the impact of the WellChild Nurse programme through the creation of further posts – including new and innovative models.
- Collaborate in the development of a national discharge database – creating a standardised and monitored approach to discharge.
- Explore the use of digital technology in providing on-demand and dedicated 24/7 support to families at home by WellChild Nurses.
CONFIDENT TO CARE
Our plan to improve the accessibility, quality and consistency of information and training for families.
- Establish a network of new ‘Better At Home’ Training Units across the UK.
- Collaborate in the development of new national training principles for parents, carers and professionals.
- Explore the use of digital technology in delivering more, improved and co-ordinated training and information resources.
PRIORITY 3: ENABLED TO THRIVE
Our plan to lay the foundations for a safe, stimulating and happy home life for children, young people and their families.
- Expand the WellChild Helping Hands programme to satisfy growing demand.
- Enhance support available through the WellChild Family Tree network.
- Establish a face-to-face emotional support service for families.
- Collaborate on the provision of further professional support posts for families – including focus on psychological and social care.
- Explore new support services for rare conditions based on the success of the WellChild Wolfram Syndrome Family Co-ordinator model.
A VOICE & A PRIORITY
Our plan to ensure the needs of families are recognised publicly and at the highest levels.
- Continue to develop WellChild campaigns and projects such as #notanurse_but and the WellChild Awards to increase awareness of key issues.
- Engage with regional and national child health policy and decision makers.
- Support and contribute to better national data and understanding of the needs of families.
HELP US DELIVER OUR STRATEGIC AIMS
WellChild is entirely reliant on the fundraising support of individuals and organisations, without whom none of what we plan to achieve will be possible. Find out how you or your organisation can help us deliver our ambitious plan for children and young people with serious health needs.