More than 100,000 children and young people are living with serious illness or exceptional health needs across the UK. Many spend months, even years in hospital simply because there is no support enabling them to leave. Our vision is for these children and young people to have the best chance to thrive - at home, with their families wherever possible.
We work towards achieving this vision (our mission) by:
- Providing practical and emotional support to seriously ill children, young people and their families, enabling them to leave hospital and live life in their own homes.
- Funding projects and research to ensure parents, carers and those who work in the children’s healthcare sector are better equipped to provide support to children and young people with long term, complex healthcare needs.
- Influencing the future of health, education and social care policy to ensure it meets the needs of families of seriously ill children and young people.
The values and beliefs that underpin all our work are:
- We are passionate about what we do
We are passionate about our purpose and our work – from raising funds and awareness through to ensuring that families get the support they need for every step of their journey.
- Our work is shaped by those around us
We ensure all our work is informed by the voice of the people we support and work with.
- We are caring and receptive
We are approachable and supportive and we treat everyone with mutual respect. The WellChild environment is always warm, friendly, open and honest.
- We empower others and we are not afraid of letting go and embracing change
We empower everyone from our staff to the families we support to enable them to make their own decisions. We’re not afraid of letting go and enabling others – from funders through to partner charities – to help build on our ideas.
- We go the extra mile
We are ambitious and committed, determined to go the extra mile to ensure the best for the people we support, our funders and anyone else who comes into contact with us.
- We innovate and challenge the status quo whenever we can
We foster an environment where creativity thrives. We are not afraid of doing things differently.