The challenge is different to the majority of other charities and tour companies Three Peaks Challenges as we complete the mountains in reverse order starting in Wales and finishing in Scotland which makes it much more fun! By doing this you’ll build up to the tallest mountain in the UK – Ben Nevis! After completing the challenge we’ll then stay overnight in our hotel in Fort William for a celebratory meal, drinks and to swap stories of an amazing weekend.
Leading up to the challenge you will be well prepared by our experienced Challenge Events Team with regular updates, support with your training/fundraising and have the opportunity to meet other team members on our organised free Three Peaks Challenge training walks.
Organisation of event
Free Three Peaks Training walks to prepare you
Expert training advice
Guides qualified in first aid
Transport during the challenge
Finishers Three Peaks Medal and T-shirt
Hot drinks and snacks
x2 lunches, x1 celebratory evening meal and x1 fully cooked breakfast
One nights twin room accommodation
15% discount at Cotswold Outdoor
Free Vitalsox Walking socks
If you have any questions about the Three Peaks Challenge please email email@example.com or call Steve 01242 548761.
Before the challenge you will have regular contact and updates from the Challenge Events Manager. There may also be an opportunity to test your fitness and meet up in the Brecon Beacons, Cotswolds or other locations with team members. You will receive training and fundraising advice once signed up and can contact the Challenge Events Manager if you have any questions. During the challenge our safety team will lead the walk and guide you throughout the event ensuring your safety. You will receive regular safety and weather updates throughout the challenge and can ask our experienced team if you need specific advice.
We will do everything we can to support you leading up to and during the challenge. It is a real test of mental strength and stamina to complete the challenge and is no easy feat. You will need to train hard beforehand ensuring you complete at least one test weekend of walking eight hours per day for two days.
The team is split up into faster and slower teams and if you need to move between groups this will be accommodated when practical. However if you find you cannot continue or have injured yourself there are set turn around points during the challenge where a member of the safety team can return with any participants to the coach.
Any outdoor activity has a risk however if you are injured the safety team has qualified first aid cover and equipment. The team uses two way radios and has a support vehicle at the bottom of each mountain that co-ordinates all incidents. The safety team leader is there to ensure your safety and it is your responsibility to listen to their instructions.
The trek is both a mental and physical challenge. You will need to train beforehand and it is unrealistic to think you can complete the event without any training. Once signed up you will receive further training advice and recommendations on equipment e.g. walking boots. Ideally you need to be able to complete an eight hour walk on two consecutive days to be ready for this challenge. It’s not simply about being ready to walk the event but plan your training to be ready over the coming months. If you have a health condition you should consult your doctor before taking part.
Once signed up you will receive a full kit list but the main clothing and equipment is a pair of waterproof trousers, waterproof jacket, 25-35L rucksack and well broken in walking boots. The weather in the mountains is unpredictable and changes rapidly. If you do not have ankle high boots and full waterproofs you will be unable to take part in the challenge for your own safety.
Friday night we are walking through the night on Scafell Pike but most people will sleep as much as possible on the coach.
Please read the following Terms & Conditions of Entry carefully
Event costs and sponsorship
1. In return for a secured place on the Event you will need to pay a £20 registration fee.
2. In addition, you will be required to make a further payment of £166 to cover the cost of travel, accommodation, food and mountain guides by 2 June 2017. This must be paid prior to this date in order for you to be able to participate in the event.
3. You will pledge to endeavour to raise an additional minimum amount of £350 in sponsorship.
4. All funds raised in the name of WellChild must be paid to WellChild. You have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received by you for the Event are paid to WellChild promptly.
5. Should you have to withdraw, for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible in writing. Payments made by you can be refunded should you wish up until five weeks before the challenge event (less costs incurred that cannot be recovered). If you notify us after this date then the £186 fee already paid cannot be refunded as this cost will have been incurred by WellChild. All sponsorship forms must be returned to WellChild, and we suggest that you ask any sponsors whose donations have already been collected whether they are happy for their donation to remain with the charity. Should any of your sponsors not wish their donation to remain with the charity, you must arrange for that donation to be returned to them.
General conditions of entry
6. You must be 18 years of age or above on the day that the Event commences.
7. All participants enter the Event entirely at their own risk and WellChild shall not be liable for any injury or loss that participants suffer as a result of taking part in the event, except where an injury or loss results from the negligence or omissions of WellChild. WellChild is covered by appropriate public liability insurance.
8. By entering the Event you confirm that you are aware of the risks involved and the degree of fitness required to take part and agree that you are physically capable of competing in the Event. You are advised to consult your doctor if in any doubt prior to undertaking any exercise programme. You undertake and agree to inform WellChild of any change in your medical condition from the date of registration up to and until the start of the Event. Participants aged 65 years or over, or who have a pre-existing medical condition, may be required to provide a doctor’s certificate stating they have a suitable level of fitness to participate in the Event.
9. Personal liability, medical, belongings/equipment or personal accident insurance is not provided by WellChild. You are advised to obtain such insurance yourself if required.
10. All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event.
11. You must not suffer from alcohol or drug dependency.
12. You must ensure you have all the items on the essential kit list e.g. ankle high walking boots (not trainers or mid ankle walking boots) and full waterproofs (jacket and trousers).
13. If at any time it is discovered that any participant should have been ineligible to participate in the Event (or if participation in the Event should have been refused for any reason whatsoever) WellChild reserve the right to disqualify from/refuse entry to such participant to the Event.
14. Itineraries, schedule and other arrangement changes may occur, which are beyond the control of WellChild or the safety team.
15. During the course of the Event you must fully comply with the instructions of the WellChild staff, safety team, emergency services and/or marshals.
16. WellChild may, at its sole discretion, withdraw places on the Event if it is believed to be in its own best interest to do so. WellChild reserves the right to cancel the Event should it be deemed necessary for any reasons outside of its control. In this instance, all donations paid by you will be refunded.
17. By taking part in an event, you confirm that you are happy for your name and any footage or photographs taken during your participation in the Event to be used by WellChild to publicise and organise events, and by WellChild generally in promoting the work of the charity. This may include brochures, posters, leaflets, display boards, website and any other such appropriate materials.
18. If your personal details (address, contact number etc.) change after you have submitted your application you must notify us immediately. All personal information will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
19. By participating in the Event you agree to the terms and conditions above and the following disclaimer ‘I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event and will abide by all rules and instructions. I declare that I will not compete in the event unless I am medically fit to do so and that, in any event, I will compete at my own risk. I accept that the organisers (WellChild), sponsors, partners, marshals will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event, unless caused by their negligence or omission.