Join the team and take on the Welsh 1000 – summit 5 of the highest mountain in Wales in just...
Sailability Summer Splash 2017
Saturday 22 Jul 17 10:00 am - 4:00 pm Carsington Water Sailing Club, Derbyshire, DE6 1SU Cost: FREE (lunch not included) Closing date 10th July Minimum age for sailing 8 + (younger children welcome on larger boats but must be accompanied by an adult)
The Sailability Summer Splash returns for another spectacular family day of sailing. And this year, it’s even bigger and better.
Join WellChild at Carsington Sailing Club this July for an amazing day of sailing and family fun.
Fun for all the family
- Go on a family boat trip with experienced crew
- Bring a picnic or have a bite to eat in The Galley (on site)
- Fancy dress competition – this year’s theme – Sea Creatures!
Specially designed access boats for children and young people with disabilities
- A range of boats available to cater for families with younger children
- Expert crews , hoists and specialised equipment to help sailors in and out of boats
Please note, due to high demand, we no longer have boats to accommodate children who need to remain in their wheelchair while on the boat.
New for 2017
- Shaded marquee area along the shore
- New timed sailing slots
Inspiration for the day has come from Consultant Paediatrician, Nottingham Children’s Hospital and event organiser; Dr David Thomas who is a keen sailor and member of Carsington Sailing Club. His years of professional experience have highlighted to him the therapeutic benefits that sailing can offer children with exceptional health needs.
Come and enjoy the tranquil setting of Carsington Water, whether to sail or have a family day out on the shore, we’re sure you’ll have a great time!
If you have any questions about the event please call Catherine on 01242 530007.
Please note that places are limited, so please book soon and we’ll try to accommodate everyone.
Find out about the boats
Capacity: 6 persons
Sailing type: very stable
Suitable for: families with younger children
Capacity: 4 persons
Sailing experience: great for racing and having fun!
Suitable for: able bodied
Capacity: 4 persons (2 Sailability persons)
Sailing experience: very stable and safe
Suitable for: designed for Sailability, with two bucket seats for children to be hoisted into
Extra information: close safety boat shadowing
Capacity: 2 persons
Sailing experience: very stable and safe
Suitable for: designed for Sailability – all disabilities considered and opportunity for children with Sailability requirements to sail
Extra information: close safety boat shadowing and hoist used with this boat
Capacity: 4 persons
Sailing experience: racing boat
Suitable for: able bodied families or groups
Capacity: 4 persons (accommodating 1 wheelchair user plus 3 persons)
Sailing experience: safety boat and fun for a trip
Suitable for: Sailability and able bodied
Capacity: 4 persons
Sailing experience: safety boat and fun on the water
Suitable for: able bodied sailors and 1 parent holding a young child with Sailability requirements
Please note: this is an approximate timetable for the day. This year, all families will be issued with a ticket on arrival, indicating your boat and estimated allocated time slot.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the event, we are unable to guarantee your time slot. However, we will endeavour to do all that we can to keep to schedule.
10am – Sailing
10.30am – On shore activities open
10.30am-12.30am – Sailing
1pm – Lunch
2pm-4pm – Sailing
4pm – Masts are down
Terms and conditions
Sailability Summer Splash 2017 Terms and Conditions
Please read the following Terms & Conditions of Entry carefully
- If for any reason you or a member of your family is unable to attend, please let us know as soon as possible, as we may be able to offer your place to another family wishing to attend.
- All children must be the required age or above on the day that the Event commences (please see the event list for the current age limit). Participants under the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- All participants enter the Event entirely at their own risk and the organisers shall not be liable for any injury or loss that participants suffer as a result of taking part in the event, except where an injury or loss results from the negligence or omissions of the organisers.
- By entering the Event you confirm that you are aware of the risks involved and the degree of fitness required to take part and agree that you and your child(ren) are physically capable of competing in the Event. You are advised to consult your doctor if in any doubt prior to undertaking any exercise programme. You undertake and agree to inform WellChild and/or the Organiser of any change in your or your child(ren)’s medical conditions from the date of registration up to and until the start of the Event. Participants aged 65 years or over, or who have a pre-existing medical condition, may be required to provide a doctor’s certificate stating they have a suitable level of fitness to participate in the Event.
- Personal liability, medical, belongings/equipment or personal accident insurance is not provided by WellChild. You are advised to obtain such insurance yourself if required.
- All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event.
- If at any time it is discovered that any participant should have been ineligible to participate in the Event (or if participation in the Event should have been refused for any reason whatsoever) the Organisers reserve the right to disqualify from/refuse entry to such participant to the Event.
- Itineraries, schedule and other arrangement changes may occur, which are beyond the control of WellChild or the Organisers.
- During the course of the Event you must fully comply with the instructions of the Organisers, safety teams, guides, emergency services and/or marshals.
- WellChild may, at its sole discretion, withdraw places on the Event if it is believed to be in its own best interest to do so. WellChild reserves the right to cancel the Event should it be deemed necessary for any reasons outside of its control.
- All funds raised from the day’s activities are to be paid to WellChild.
- If your personal details (address, contact number etc.) change after you have submitted your application you must notify us immediately. All personal information will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- By participating in the Event you agree to the terms and conditions above and the following disclaimer ‘I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event and will abide by all rules and instructions. I declare that I and my child(ren) will not compete in the event unless I am medically fit to do so and that, in any event, I will compete at my own risk. I accept that the organisers, sponsors, partners, marshals will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event, unless caused by their negligence or omission.
When does the event take place?
The Sailability Summer Splash will take place on Saturday 22nd July 2017.
How many children will be taking part?
There will be between 50-80 children sailing on the day.
Is there a minimum age?
Yes, the minimum age requirement is 8 years of age or above on the day of the event. However, younger children are welcome on the boats if accompanied by an adult. There will also be onshore activities for families.
Do I need to be able to swim?
No, as all sailors will be provided with a buoyancy aid.
How do I sign up?
Sign up here on our website. Please note that numbers are limited for the event, and so spaces will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Does the event cost anything?
No, the sailing is free of charge, however please note that lunch will not be included. Lunch and refreshments are available in the club’s cafe, or otherwise you are very welcome to bring along a picnic.
We will also be organising some sea creature themed activities for the children on dry land. Any donations for these activities would be greatly appreciated.
What do you need to bring?
|Warm waterproof and windproof clothing||Warm hat and gloves|
|Non-slip footwear which can get wet (i.e. pumps)||Sea creature costume|
|Sling (if required) for use with hoist||Spare change of clothes|
If you are unsure about the suitability of your sailing clothing, please get in touch. Please note that the organisers will provide buoyancy aids, although if you do have one, it would be great if you could bring it along.
What disabled access and facilities are there?
Disabled facilities will be available at the club. There is 1 disabled toilet at the sailing club and 3 disabled toilets at the Visitor Centre which is located next to the club. The club has excellent facilities, equipment and sailing boats, specifically designed for adults and children with limited mobility and can provide different levels of support as required. If you have any concerns at all, please do give us a call.
Where can we park?
Parking is available on site.
What support will WellChild and the organisers give?
In the run up to the event, we’ll make sure you receive everything you need to know, including a kit list of what to bring. On the day, the organisers will be on hand to make sure that you and your children have all the necessary equipment, help and encouragement needed to have a really fun and action-packed day!
What happens if nearer to the event, I am unable to attend?
If for whatever reason you are unable to attend, please contact Catherine on 01242 530007 as soon as possible as we may be able to offer your place to another family.
More about event location
Carsington Water Sailing Club, Derbyshire
Carsington Water Sailing Club, Carsington Water, Ashbourne, Derbyshire DE6 1SUGet directions
See more events...
Join the team cycling capital to capital in this whirlwind cycle challenge and see part of the final stage of...