This year’s RideLondon Event has now been cancelled. A full statement from the event organisers can be found here. At the moment we are unable to...
Sailability Summer Splash 2019
Saturday 27 Jul 19 10:00 am - 4:00 pm Carsington Water Sailing Club, Derbyshire, DE6 1SU Cost: FREE (lunch not included) FULLY BOOKED 8+ (younger children welcome on larger boats but must be accompanied by an adult)
The Sailability Summer Splash returns for another spectacular day of sailing. And this year, it’s even bigger and better.
Fun for all the family
- Go on a family boat trip with experienced crew
- Bring a picnic or have a bite to eat in The Galley (on site)
- Fancy dress competition – this year’s theme – ‘Mermazing!’ (i.e. magical mermaids and mermen, crowns, tridents and sparkle!)
- Magic show and balloon modelling with children’s entertainer – Mrs Sparkle!
- Timed sailing slots
- Take a look at the boats on offer in advance
- Mobile changing places toilet
- Sensory chill out zone
Specially designed access boats for children and young people with disabilities
- A range of boats available to cater for families with younger children
- Expert crews , hoists and specialist equipment to help sailors in and out of boats
Inspiration for the day has come from Consultant Paediatrician, Nottingham Children’s Hospital and event organiser; Dr David Thomas who is a keen sailor and member of Carsington Sailing Club. His years of professional experience have highlighted to him the therapeutic benefits that sailing can offer children with exceptional health needs.
Families will enjoy the tranquil setting of Carsington Water, whether to sail or have a family day out on the shore, we’re sure they’ll have a great time!
If you have any questions about the event please contact Catherine on Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 01242 530007
Please note that this event is now fully booked for 2019.
Find out about the boats
Capacity: 6 persons.
Sailing type: very stable.
Suitable for: families with younger children.
Capacity: 4 persons.
Sailing experience: great for racing and having fun!
Suitable for: able bodied.
Capacity: 4 persons (or 2 Sailability persons).
Sailing experience: very stable and safe.
Suitable for: designed for Sailability, with two bucket seats for children to be hoisted into.
Extra information: close safety boat shadowing.
Capacity: 2 persons.
Sailing experience: very stable and safe.
Suitable for: designed for Sailability – all disabilities considered and opportunity for children with Sailability requirements to sail.
Extra information: close safety boat shadowing and hoist used with this boat
Capacity: 4 persons.
Sailing experience: racing boat.
Suitable for: able bodied families or groups.
Capacity: 4 persons (accommodating 1 wheelchair user plus 3 persons).
Sailing experience: safety boat and fun for a trip.
Suitable for: Sailability and able bodied.
Capacity: 4 persons.
Sailing experience: safety boat and fun on the water.
Suitable for: able bodied sailors and 1 parent holding a young child with Sailability requirements.
Sailing experience: cruising around the reservoir in a luxury sailing boat.
Suitable for: family groups, able bodied sailors.
Please note: this is an approximate timetable for the day. All families will be issued with a ticket on arrival, indicating your boat and estimated allocated time slot.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the event, we are unable to guarantee your time slot. However, we will endeavour to do all that we can to keep to schedule.
10am – Sailing
10.30am – On shore activities open
10.30am-12.30am – Sailing
1pm – Lunch and fancy dress judging
2pm-4pm – Sailing
4pm – Masts are down
Terms and conditions
Sailability Summer Splash 2018 Terms and Conditions
Please read the following Terms & Conditions of Entry carefully
- If for any reason you or a member of your family is unable to attend, please let us know as soon as possible, as we may be able to offer your place to another family wishing to attend.
- All children under the age of 18 attending the event must be accompanied by an adult. Children participating in sailing must be age 8 or above on the day of the event, children under 8 are welcome to sail on larger boats but must be accompanied by an adult.
- All participants attend the event entirely at their own risk and the event organisers shall not be liable for any injury or loss that participants suffer as a result of taking part in the event, except where an injury or loss results from the negligence or omissions of the organisers.
- Itineraries, schedule and other arrangement changes may occur, which are beyond the control of WellChild or the Organisers.
- During the course of the Event you must fully comply with the instructions of the event organisers, safety teams, guides, emergency services and/volunteers.
- The event organisers may, at its sole discretion, withdraw places on the event if it is believed to be in its own best interest to do so. The event organisers reserve the right to cancel the event should it be deemed necessary for any reasons outside of its control.
- If your personal details (address, contact number etc.) change after you have submitted your application you must notify us immediately. All personal information will be held securely, please note where necessary conditions and ages of children will be shared with the event organisers so the necessary equipment and boats are provided.
- By participating in the Event you agree to the terms and conditions above and the following disclaimer ‘I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event and will abide by all rules and instructions. I declare that I and my child(ren) participate in the sailing activities at our own risk. I accept that the organisers, sponsors, partners, volunteers will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event, unless caused by their negligence or omission.
Where can we park?
Parking is available on site.
When does the event take place?
The Sailability Summer Splash will take place on Saturday 27th July 2019.
How many children will be taking part?
There will be between 50-80 children sailing on the day.
Is there a minimum age?
Yes, anyone under the age of 18 attending the event must be accompanied by an adult at all times. The minimum age requirement to take part in the sailing is 8 years of age or above on the day of the event. However, younger children are welcome on the larger boats if accompanied by an adult. There will also be onshore activities for families.
Do I need to be able to swim?
No, as all sailors will be provided with a buoyancy aid.
How do I sign up?
Sign up here on our website. Places are limited, so please book soon and we’ll try to accommodate everyone.
Does the event cost anything?
No, the sailing is free of charge; however please note that lunch will not be included. Lunch and refreshments are available in the club’s cafe, or otherwise you are very welcome to bring along a picnic. Here is the link to the Gallery Cafe at the club: www.carsingtonsailingclub.co.uk/about-us/the-galley
We will be organising some Mermazing themed activities for the kids on dry land. Any donations for either these activities would be greatly appreciated.
What do you need to bring?
|Warm waterproof and windproof clothing||Warm hat and gloves|
|Non-slip footwear which can get wet (i.e. pumps)||Under the Sea costume|
|Sunscreen & sun hat||Water pistol|
|Towel||Spare change of clothes|
|Sling (if required) for use with hoist||Picnic|
Please note that lunch is not included. There is a cafe onsite where lunch and refreshments are available, although you are very welcome to bring along a picnic.
If you are unsure about the suitability of your sailing clothing, please get in touch. A full kit list will be sent to you on confirmation of a place. Please note that the organisers will provide buoyancy aids.
What disabled access and facilities are there?
Disabled facilities will be available at the club. There is 1 disabled toilet at the sailing club and 3 disabled toilets at the Visitor Centre which is located next to the club. The club will also have a mobile changing places toilet available on the day, situated by the shore line. The club has excellent facilities, equipment and sailing boats, specifically designed for adults and children with limited mobility and can provide different levels of support as required. Click here to see the range of boats on offer and the specialised equipment the crew has. If you have any concerns at all, please do give us a call.
What support will WellChild and the organisers give?
In the run up to the event, we’ll make sure you receive everything you need to know, including a kit list of what to bring. On the day, the organisers will be on hand to make sure that you and your children have all the necessary equipment, help and encouragement needed to have a really fun and action-packed day!
What happens if nearer to the event, I am unable to attend?
If for whatever reason you are unable to attend, please contact Catherine on Email: email@example.com or Tel: 01242 530007 as soon as possible as we may be able to offer your place to another family.
More about event location
Carsington Water Sailing Club, Derbyshire
Carsington Water Sailing Club, Carsington Water, Ashbourne, Derbyshire DE6 1SUGet directions