Join team WellChild for the 2018 Big Half created by the London Marathon organisers. This is a new event allowing...
Trek the Lake District – 8in48
Friday 14 Sep 18 - Sunday 16 Sep 18 10:00 am Event cost: £20 registration fee. £179 to be paid 8 weeks before the event. Pledged minimum sponsorship: £350. 50 Places left Minimum age: 18
Join our team on this fully organised challenge to summit the eight highest peaks in the Lake District in just 48 hours!
Based in Keswick/Ambleside for the weekend this challenge combines the comfort of hot showers, drying room and good food with two hard days of trekking.
You’ll meet up at our bunkhouse in the Lake District to be briefed about the challenge ahead and have a quick kit check.
To complete Trek the Lake District – 8in48 you have to have trained hard to build up your fitness beforehand and you can help test yourself beforehand on our free training walks.
On day one you’ll tackle three of the peaks as a warm up to day two. This is Skiddaw, Helvellyn Lower Man and Helvellyn. It will take about 6 hours to complete but you’ll get a good feel for the paths and terrain.
The second day is the big one with twelve hours of walking going from peak to peak. You’ll complete the other five mountains as you follow our guides heading back across the Scafell mountain range towards the finish line – Keswick!
It’s then time to celebrate back at the bunkhouse with a few drinks and hot trekkers grub!
Leading up to the challenge you will be well prepared by our experienced Challenge Events Team with regular updates, support with your training/fundraising and have the opportunity to meet other team members on our organised free Trek the Lake District 8in48 training walks.
If you have any questions about the challenge please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Mel on 01242 548761.
Thank you to our event sponsors
1. Free kit including finishers T-shirt
FREE gear including Lakes 8in48 finishers t-shirt and Vitalsox compression walking socks.
2. First Class Support
Training plans, fundraising tips, advice, merchandise and first class support from the WellChild Events Team.
- Access to the Lakes 8in48 Challenge Facebook group to chat to other team members
- Free optional training days leading up to your challenge (dates TBC)
- A full safety team that guides you throughout the challenge
- Transport during the challenge
- Food & accommodation
3. Exclusive Discounts
4. Post trek celebration
Unwind and relax in with a celebratory meal then off to the pub to see the night out.
What’s included in the cost of the challenge?
- Full safety team
- Transport throughout the Challenge
- Parking (limited spaces)
- Group first aid
- All meals
- Two night’s bunkhouse accommodation
- Challenge finishers T-shirt and medal
What isn’t included?
- Personal insurance
- Transport to Lake District
What do I need to do to take part?
- Pay a registration fee, event cost eight weeks before the event and pledge to raise a minimum amount of sponsorship.
- Provide your own kit (including sturdy ankle high walking boots)
- Personal travel insurance is optional and at your discretion – recommended in case you pull out due to injury
- Bring money to pay for extra food and drink during the weekend
How is the team supported?
Before the challenge you will have regular contact and updates from the Challenge Events Manager. There may also be an opportunity to test your fitness and meet up in the Brecon Beacons, Cotswolds or other locations with team members. You will receive training and fundraising advice once signed up and can contact the Challenge Events Manager if you have any questions. During the challenge our safety team will lead the walk and guide you throughout the event ensuring your safety. You will receive regular safety and weather updates throughout the challenge and can ask our experienced team if you need specific advice.
What if I can’t complete the challenge?
We will do everything we can to support you leading up to and during the challenge. It is a real test of mental strength and stamina to complete the challenge and is no easy feat. You will need to train hard beforehand ensuring you complete at least one test weekend of walking eight hours per day for two days.
The team is split up into faster and slower teams and if you need to move between groups this will be accommodated when practical. However if you find you cannot continue or have injured yourself there are set turn around points during the challenge where a member of the safety team can return with any participants.
What happens if I’m injured?
Any outdoor activity has a risk however if you are injured the safety team has qualified first aid cover and equipment. The team uses two way radios and has a support vehicle at the bottom of each mountain that co-ordinates all incidents. The safety team leader is there to ensure your safety and it is your responsibility to listen to their instructions.
How fit do I need to be?
The trek is both a mental and physical challenge. You will need to train beforehand and it is unrealistic to think you can complete the event without any training. Once signed up you will receive further training advice and recommendations on equipment e.g. walking boots. Ideally you need to be able to complete an eight hour walk on two consecutive days to be ready for this challenge. It’s not simply about being ready to walk the event but plan your training to be ready over the coming months. If you have a health condition you should consult your doctor before taking part.
What clothing and equipment do I need?
Once signed up you will receive a full kit list you must have all essential items on the list such as a pair of waterproof trousers, waterproof jacket, 25-35L rucksack and well broken in walking boots. The weather in the mountains is unpredictable and changes rapidly. If you do not have all essential items on the kit list you will be unable to take part in the challenge for your own safety.
Where do we sleep?
During the challenge we stay in single sex dorms at our Bunkhouse.
Terms and conditions
TREK THE LAKE DISTRICT 8IN48 TERMS & CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Please read the following Terms & Conditions of Entry carefully
Event costs and sponsorship
1. In return for a secured place on the Event you will need to pay a £20 registration fee.
2. In addition, you will be required to make a further payment of £179 to cover the cost of travel, accommodation, food and mountain guides by 20 July 2018. This must be paid prior to this date in order for you to be able to participate in the event.
3. You will pledge to endeavour to raise an additional minimum amount of £350 in sponsorship.
4. All funds raised in the name of WellChild must be paid to WellChild. You have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received by you for the Event are paid to WellChild promptly.
5. Should you have to withdraw, for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible in writing. Payments made by you can be refunded should you wish up until four weeks before the challenge event. If you notify us after this date then the £199 fee already paid cannot be refunded as this cost will have been incurred by WellChild. All sponsorship forms must be returned to WellChild, and we suggest that you ask any sponsors whose donations have already been collected whether they are happy for their donation to remain with the charity. Should any of your sponsors not wish their donation to remain with the charity, you must arrange for that donation to be returned to them.
General conditions of entry
6. You must be 18 years of age or above on the day that the Event commences.
7. All participants enter the Event entirely at their own risk and WellChild shall not be liable for any injury or loss that participants suffer as a result of taking part in the event, except where an injury or loss results from the negligence or omissions of WellChild. WellChild is covered by appropriate public liability insurance.
8. By entering the Event you confirm that you are aware of the risks involved and the degree of fitness required to take part and agree that you are physically capable of competing in the Event. You are advised to consult your doctor if in any doubt prior to undertaking any exercise programme. You undertake and agree to inform WellChild of any change in your medical condition from the date of registration up to and until the start of the Event. Participants aged 65 years or over, or who have a pre-existing medical condition, may be required to provide a doctor’s certificate stating they have a suitable level of fitness to participate in the Event.
9. Personal liability, medical, belongings/equipment or personal accident insurance is not provided by WellChild. You are advised to obtain such insurance yourself if required.
10. All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event.
11. You must not suffer from alcohol or drug dependency.
12. You must ensure you have all the items on the essential kit list e.g. ankle high walking boots (not trainers or mid ankle walking boots) and full waterproofs (jacket and trousers).
13. If at any time it is discovered that any participant should have been ineligible to participate in the Event (or if participation in the Event should have been refused for any reason whatsoever) WellChild reserve the right to disqualify from/refuse entry to such participant to the Event.
14. Itineraries, schedule and other arrangement changes may occur, which are beyond the control of WellChild or the safety team.
15. During the course of the Event you must fully comply with the instructions of the WellChild staff, safety team, emergency services and/or marshals.
16. WellChild may, at its sole discretion, withdraw places on the Event if it is believed to be in its own best interest to do so. WellChild reserves the right to cancel the Event should it be deemed necessary for any reasons outside of its control. In this instance, all donations paid by you will be refunded.
17. By taking part in an event, you confirm that you are happy for your name and any footage or photographs taken during your participation in the Event to be used by WellChild to publicise and organise events, and by WellChild generally in promoting the work of the charity. This may include brochures, posters, leaflets, display boards, website and any other such appropriate materials.
18. If your personal details (address, contact number etc.) change after you have submitted your application you must notify us immediately. All personal information will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
19. By participating in the Event you agree to the terms and conditions above and the following disclaimer ‘I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event and will abide by all rules and instructions. I declare that I will not compete in the event unless I am medically fit to do so and that, in any event, I will compete at my own risk. I accept that the organisers (WellChild), sponsors, partners, marshals will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event, unless caused by their negligence or omission.