Condition Management | Your Journey

An easy read guide for young people transitioning to adult’s services

This guide is for young people with complex needs aged 15-18. The information is about what will happen as you move from children’s services to adult’s services.

By Callum Campbell · Published: September 2, 2021

Transition Easy Read guide image 1 - girl growing up

As you get older you will move from being looked after by a children’s hospital to an adult’s hospital.


Transition image 2, hospital to hospital image

The move from a children’s hospital to an adult’s hospital is called transition.


Easy read image 3 - doctor

The staff who look after you will start talking to you about the move when you are around 13 years old. The move itself will happen sometime after your 16th birthday.


Easy read guide image 4- my transition plan

Someone who helps with your care at the children’s hospital will make a plan with you to prepare for the move to an adult’s hospital.


Easy Read guide 5 - hospital image with healthcare professionals

They will talk to you and your family about which hospital you will move to and what it will be like. They will also talk about who will look after you. You may get to meet the new doctors, nurses and other staff before you move.


Easy read guide image 6 - person at GP doctors appointment

Sometimes it will be your family doctor (GP) who will take over your care after you move to adult services.


Easy read guide image 7 - man having blood pressure check by GP doctor

It is important for this doctor (GP) to get to know you well. They can do this by making sure you have your annual health check with them.


Easy read guide - young person with health professionals

Your social care team and your school or college should be involved in your move to adult services. They should work with health staff to make sure you and your family feel supported.


Easy read guide assessment record

You may have an assessment when you are 16 or 17 years old to find out what support you need when you are an adult.

This is called a Continuing Healthcare Assessment. A nurse and your parent or carer will help you with this.


Easy read guide - letter from children's hospital to adult's hospital

The staff who look after you now will send information to the adult’s hospital before the move. You may be given a Hospital Passport which will contain all this information.

This is so any new staff know all about you and what care you need before you arrive.


Hospital ward, hospital bed

The adult’s hospital and wards may look a little different to what you are used to. You may be able to visit the new wards to see what they are like before you move.


Doctor in a hospital corridor

You and your family will be able to talk to adult staff about what you need when you go into hospital to make your stay comfortable. For example…

Easy read guide - family and professionals

You might want a parent to help discuss your care with the doctors and nurses.

Easy read guide - family at hospital, time

You might want to find out if your parent or carer is allowed to stay with you.

easy read guide - ipad, devices, music, entertainment whilst at hospital

You can let the staff know what activities you like to bring with you into hospital so you don’t get bored.


Easy read guide - nervous

It is normal to feel nervous when you are moving somewhere new and meeting new staff.


Easy read guide - group of professionals

The staff looking after you will do everything they can to help you and your family prepare for the move, so you can settle into the new hospital when the time comes.


Authored by the WellChild Transition Nurse Subgroup

Callum Campbell, Family Information Officer

First published 30 September 2021

Next review due 11 January 2022