Covid-19 | Money

Financial support during the Covid-19 pandemic

Links to financial advice, resources and information for families.

By Chloe French · Published: September 23, 2021

piggy bank

This article was last reviewed in January 2022 and is no longer kept up to date. Visit the Money section of the Information Hub for general information about benefits and grants >>

Many families reaching have reported financial challenges as a result of the Covid-19 restrictions. Here are some useful organisations who can offer financial advice and support during the coronavirus pandemic.

Test and Trace Support Payment

If you or your child have been told to self-isolate, you may be eligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment. This one-off payment is provided by the Government that is designed to support people on low incomes when they have to self-isolate. If you live in England, you must meet the following criteria to be eligible:

  • You have tested positive for COVID-19 or been told you’re a close contact by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app
  • You are not exempt from self-isolating
  • You will lose income because you cannot work from home

You may also be eligible for the support payment if you are self-isolating because your child has been told to self-isolate. They must have an EHCP and normally be in school if they were not self-isolating. The full eligibility criteria can be found on the Government website >>

If you are eligible for a payment, you must apply through your local council. Different councils have different requirement, but it is likely that you will need to provide:

  • A payslip if you’re employed, or evidence of your Self Assessment tax returns if you’re self-employed
  • A bank statement
  • Your NHS Test and Trace account ID, or evidence your child has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace

For more information about the Test and Trace Support Payment in England, links to similar support in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and to find out how to make an application, visit the Government website >>

Benefits and Tax Credits

It can be confusing knowing which benefit you should apply for and what you are entitled too, especially during these times where new schemes are being created all the time. However, there are several places you can seek support and information about what you are entitled to.

Turn2Us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face-to-face through their partner organisations. They have a handy benefits calculator you can complete online that will identify what means tested support you are entitled to.

Contact is a charity for families with disabled children. They support families with guidance and information and have a free helpline offering lots of advice including financial matters. You can contact them on 0808 808 3555. They also have helpful information about benefits and grants on their website here >>

If you are already in receipt of means tested benefits but your income has reduced because of Coronavirus, contact the relevant office paying you this benefit so they can reassess your payment and advise you accordingly.

Grants for families

A range of charities and other organisations offer grants to families who care for a child with complex needs. Examples include Family Fund, who provide grants for things like washing machines, sensory toys, family breaks, bedding, tablets, computers, and more. Visit our Grants information page for a list of grants available for families to cover equipment, therapies, respite, and more >>

The Money Advice Service

Free and impartial money advice set up by the government including debt advice, mortgage advice, budgeting and saving, work and benefits, and family and care. Support is available over the phone and online. There is a section on Coronavirus and your money which can be found here Call 0800 138 7777 to speak to someone on the phone.

The Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau provides advice on what to do if you can’t pay your bills because of coronavirus; this includes advice on mortgages, council tax, energy bills, court orders and tax bills. There is also a helpful link to check if you think you have received a suspected scam email/letter about a bill. 

The Citizens Advice Bureau will also be able to help with advice on benefits, universal credit, access to food banks and grants. Find your local branch here:

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army can also help with money worries as well as food boxes if you urgently need food. Find your nearest Salvation Army and the services they can provide here:


Gingerbread is a charity supporting single parent families to live secure, happy and fulfilling lives. They have some great financial advice around managing money and debt including how to search for grants which you may be eligible for, budgeting tools and advice on maximising your income.

They also have a specific section with Coronavirus FAQ’s including advice on staying at home, self-isolation and shopping as a single parent.

You can also call Gingerbread’s Helpline on 0808 802 0925.

Working Families

Information and advice on financial support for working families during COVID-19 including topics such as furlough, redundancy, rights for carers, new and future parents, returning to work safely, free school meals for children and information for self-employed people. For more information and further contact visit


For more information about benefits and grants, visit the Money section of the WellChild Information Hub >>

Callum Campbell, Family Information Officer

[email protected]

First published 2 June 2020

Last reviewed January 2022

This information is no longer reviewed. Visit the money section of the information hub for up to date information about benefits and grants.