WellChild Photo Competition 2019
Calling all young photographers! We are delighted to launch a new photo competition for young people connected to WellChild. Download your free entry pack (PDF/1.9MB)
Finalists will have their photos shown at this year’s WellChild Awards and auctioned at Christie’s Auction House in October, alongside work by world renowned artists such as Tracey Emin, Antony Gormley and David Yarrow.
We want to show the world what life is like for young people living with serious health needs, or their sibling carers. This is an opportunity for them to tell their story in pictures – to shine a light on the reality of life and to inspire others.
July – Competition opens
2nd September – Final date for entries.
24th September – Finalists publically announced
5th-8th October – Photos to be exhibited at the WellChild Art Auction Preview event at Christie’s Education, London
15th October – Photos to be exhibited at the WellChild Awards, London
28th October – Photos to be showcased at the WellChild Helping Hands Art Auction at Christie’s Auction House, London
We encourage young people to use photography to tell a story about themselves and their lives as creatively as they can.
We want to shine a light on the reality of life for children and young people with serious health needs and inspire others with their courage and resilience.
This can be along the following themes:
|‘Life through my eyes’||Putting the viewer in the eyes of young person.|
|‘Overcoming barriers’||Activities and achievements that showcase what is possible with the right support.|
|‘What people don’t know about me’||Photographs that might surprise, or inspire others.|
|‘My favourite thing’||Who or what I love most, the people, things in life that the young person treasures the most.|
|‘Every-day life’||Something that captures the often hidden reality of life for a young person with serious health needs.|
Who can enter?
Any child or young person between the ages of 5 and 24 connected with WellChild, such as a previous WellChild Award Winner, or member of the WellChild Family Tree.
What do I need to do?
Take a photo that tells a story about you and your life. Upload it with a title and
description via the online form at wellchild.org.uk/photocompetition
When is the closing date?
The closing date for entries is midnight on 2nd September 2019
What do I win?
Finalists will get their photos exhibited at the WellChild Awards, regularly attended by WellChild Patron HRH The Duke of Sussex. They will also be auctioned to raise money for WellChild alongside work by leading artists such as Tracey Emin, David Yarrow and Antony Gormley. Each finalist will also receive a high quality print of their photo to keep, courtesy of Venture Photography.
The winner will also get a special prize including an all expenses paid trip to see their photograph exhibited at Christie’s London and a free family photo shoot and print courtesy of Venture Photography.
Where will my photograph and story appear?
If selected as a finalist, your photo may be enhanced, professionally printed and exhibited alongside your story at the following events:
- 5th-8th October – WellChild Helping Hands Art Auction Preview at Christie’s Education, London
- 15th October – at the 2019 WellChild Awards
- 28th October – at the WellChild Helping Hands art Auction at Christie’s Auction House, London
Your photo and story will also be promoted online via the WellChild website and social media channels. Your photo may also appear in local media and press.
Prints of the finalist’s photos will be auctioned for charity at WellChild’s Helping Hands Art Auction at Christie’s Auction House, London.
Those photos not selected as a winner will be used as part of a montage of photos that will also be exhibited online and at the above events.
When will the finalists be announced?
Winners will be announced on 24th September 2019.
When and how will the winner be selected?
The winning photo will be selected by an independent panel of judges at the WellChild Helping Hands Art Auction Preview event.
Terms and conditions
- The promoter is: WellChild (Charity registered in England and Wales 289600 and Scotland SC045010) whose registered office is at 16 Royal Crescent, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 3DA.
- Members of the judging panel and their family members or friends shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- There is no entry fee for the competition.
- Entries will only be accepted from members of the WellChild Family Tree and previous WellChild Award winner families.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via www.wellchild.org.uk/photocompetition
- Closing date for entry will be midnight on 2/09/19. After this time no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for late entries or entries not received for any reason whatsoever.
- The rules of the competition and the prize for the winner are as follows:
a) The prizes are as follows:Finalist prize – The 10 finalists selected by the judges will each get their photos displayed at the WellChild Awards 2019. They will also be displayed at the WellChild Helping Hands Art Auction Preview event on the 5th to 8th. A print of their photo will be auctioned to raise money for WellChild at the WellChild Helping Hands Art Auction at Christie’s Auction House on the 28th October. Each finalist will receive a specially produced print of their photo courtesy of Venture Photography and a finalist certificate.Winner prize – In addition to the finalist prize, the winner will also receive a special prize that will include an all-expenses paid trip to see their photo at Christie’s Auction House in London on the 28th October and a free family photo shoot and photograph, courtesy of Venture Photography. They will also win a winner’s certificate.b) The competition has 4 stages:Stage 1: Submission of photo entry; each individual entry must be submitted with a caption and permission from both the parent and young person (if aged 13 and over and able to provide consent) for the photo to appear and auctioned for charity at WellChild Helping Hands Art Auction and Preview event, and at the WellChild Awards; online via the WellChild website and social media channels; and local media and press.Stage 2: Depending on the volume of entries, an initial vote by an internal panel of judges will take place to identify the top 20 entries. In the event that the number of competition entries is below 30, the entries will all progress straight to Stage 3.Stage 3: The 20 winners of Stage 2 will then be judged by an independent panel of art experts, celebrity supporters and Art Auction committee members to select up to 10 finalists that includes one overall winner. The winning entries will be sent to Venture Photography for production and displayed at the 2019 WellChild Awards and at the WellChild Helping Hands Art Auction and Preview, where a print of each photograph will be auctioned to raise funds for WellChild. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. No alternative prize will be offered and the prize is not transferable.Stage 4: All photos entered into the competition will be included in a montage of photos to be used online via the WellChild website and social media channels.c) All entrants must submit a photo via wellchild.org.uk/photocompetition. Any entries that do not adhere to these requirements will not progress to Stage 2.d) All entrants must consent, that in the event that their entry is shortlisted and/or wins that they agree to participate in all reasonable requests for WellChild publicity related to the competition. Reasonable is defined as requests for photographs of the winning entries to appear in local, regional and national press, participation in accompanying interviews, articles, etc. both in print and on-line; participation in broadcast interviews e.g. TV & radio. It is understood by WellChild that publicity requests need to respect the constraints of entrants’ circumstances, e.g. the school day; the logistics of having a group of children attend off-site events; etc.e) All photographs and captions received will be posted on an online voting website accessible by an internal judging panel only. Online voting will open at noon, 04/09/19 and close at noon, 06/09/19f) The 20 photographers that have secured the most votes, at the time of the vote closing as stated on the online voting platform, will go through to Stage 3.g) The competition winners at Stage 3 will be notified either by telephone or email by 19/9/19 and announced publically on 24/9/2019. The name of the winning photographers will be posted online and used in publicity.h) All entries will be included in a montage of photos that will be produced and shared with entrants by 3rd October 2019.
- WellChild reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions. Entrants will be notified of any changes to the competition as soon as possible by WellChild.
- WellChild is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- By submitting a photo, title and written caption all entrants agree to these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
- All information provided will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and General Data Protection Regulation. Further information can be found at wellchild.org.uk/privacy-cookies
How to enter
You will need to submit the entry form below and send us your photo separately before 2nd September 2019. Please contact the families team on 01242 530007 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Step 1 – Submit your photo
Please ensure the photo is as high quality as possible and send it to us via WeTransfer using the following instructions, which you will also receive in your confirmation email.
- Go to www.wetransfer.com
- Click ‘Add your files’ and select your photo
- Enter email@example.com in the ‘Email to’ box
- Enter your email address in the ‘Your email’ box
- Enter your name in the ‘Message’ box
- Click the ‘Transfer’ button and wait until it reaches 100%
Step 2 – Submit the competition entry form
Submit the following form to complete your competition entry.