Mount Toubkal Trek 2022
Challenge yourself to summit the highest peak in the Atlas Mountains and Northern Africa – Mount Toubkal.
Join on your own or as a team on this challenge to summit the highest peak in the Atlas Mountains and Northern Africa – Mount Toubkal at 4,167m.
You will be part of a small group of no more than 20 trekkers – all taking on this challenge for WellChild, raising vital funds to help seriously ill children throughout the UK.
Once signed up for the trek, we’ll be there for you every step of the way. We’ll be at the end of the phone whenever you need us, can provide fundraising help to ensure you reach your minimum target and we’ll be there walking with you in June.
Duration: 4 days trekking
Endurance Factor: Tough
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to get in touch with Mel on email@example.com or 01242 530 007
- Free kit with finishers medal and t-shirt
- First class support
Training plans, fundraising tips, advice, merchandise and first class support from the WellChild Events Team.
- Access to the Toubkal Group chat to talk with the other team members
- Free training days leading up to your challenge (March and May)
- A full safety team that guides you throughout the challenge
- Guides, Porters, Mules and Muleteers
- All in-country transport
- Meals and Accommodation during your challenge
- Exclusive discounts
15% discount at Cotswold Outdoor and Snow and Rock stores.
- Airport pick up and transfer to accommodation in Marrakech
- Thursday night’s accommodation in Marrakech
- Transport from Marrakech to the mountains for the start of the trek
- All Food during the trek Lunches, Dinners and Breakfasts as noted on the itinerary
- Mules and muleteers for Trekking
- Mountain Refuge Accommodation for Friday and Saturday night
- Sunday night’s accommodation in a traditional Berber village
- Qualified UK mountain guide and in-country team
- Transport from the mountains to Marrakech at the end of the trek
- Flights & baggage
- We can recommend what flight to book – the cost of the flights are around £140 return
- Sightseeing/local tours
- Travel insurance, passports, visas, inoculations
- Bottled water on trek (this may be purchased at refuges but is limited, iodine tablets are recommended)
- Other ad hoc costs such as tips, drinks, souvenirs and laundry
- Pay a registration fee and raise a minimum amount of sponsorship eight weeks before the event.
- Provide your own kit (including sturdy ankle high walking boots)
- Book your flights and let us know your arrival time so we can arrange your pick-up from the airport or hotel
Before the challenge you will have regular contact and updates from the Head of Challenge Events. There will also be an opportunity to test your fitness and meet up in the Brecon Beacons, Cotswolds or other locations with team members. You will receive training and fundraising advice once signed up and can contact the team if you have any questions. During the challenge our safety team will lead the walk and guide you throughout the event ensuring your safety. A full team of porters, Mules, Muleteers and a cook will help you complete this challenge.
We will do everything we can to support you leading up to and during the challenge. It is a real test of mental strength and stamina to complete the challenge and is no easy feat, but we’ll be with you every step of the way. You will need to train hard beforehand ensuring you complete at least one test weekend of walking eight hours per day for two days.
The trek is both a mental and physical challenge. You will need to train beforehand and it is unrealistic to think you can complete the event without any training. Once signed up you will receive further training advice and recommendations on equipment e.g. walking boots. Ideally you need to be able to complete an eight hour walk on two consecutive days to be ready for this challenge. It’s not simply about being ready to walk the event but plan your training to be ready over the coming months. If you have a health condition you should consult your doctor before taking part.
Day 1 – 9th June
Arrive in Marrakech
We will pick you up from the airport and transfer you to our central accommodation in Marrakech. Depending on what time your flight arrives you’ll have the day to explore the beautiful Old Town of Marrakech. We then meet back at the accommodation in the evening where you will meet the WellChild team and our Mountain Guide for a team briefing before a good night’s sleep!
Day 2 – 10th June
Marrakech to Aremd and trek to Refuge de Toubkal
6-7 hours walking
We’ll start the day with a good breakfast before a two hour transfer to Aremd – at the foot of the mountains. In Aremd we’ll meet the wonderful Moroccan team of Guides, Cooks and Muleteers and start the trek through the Mizane valley, passing Sidi Chamarouch, a quaint village which is home to a shrine that is dedicated to women. On the route, further up the valley you’ll pass a few small stalls where locals sell cold refreshments that are chilled by water from the river. Around halfway we will stop, and our cook will serve you a sumptuous meal along with the famous mint tea. After lunch we will push on to the Refuge du Toubkal (3,207 m) which will be your home for the next two nights.
Day 3 – 11th June
8-10 hours walking
Early this morning we make our attempt on the summit of Jebel Toubkal (4,167m). Our route takes us up the south col, a steep climb across scree and rock that leads eventually to the Tizi n’Toukbal (3,975 m).
From here we have just a short walk to the summit. On a clear day, the views from up here take in the Marrakech Plain and the High Atlas Mountains and stretch as far south as the Sahara. From the summit we head back down on a different path to the refuge for a second night.
Day 4 – 12th June
Second Summit & Aremd
Up to 7 hours walking
If weather conditions were unfavourable yesterday, we have a chance to make a second attempt on Toubkal this morning. Alternatively, there is an option for us to try an ascent of the dual summit of Ouanoukrim (4,089m). Here you’ll have views looking over at your awesome achievement the day before. After summiting we head down to the refuge for some food before walking back to Aremd where we will be spending the night in a traditional hostel in the berber village, owned by our in country hosts.
Day 5 – 13th June
Return to Marrakesh
2 hours walking
Returning on foot to Imlil this morning, we then get our mini buses back to Marrakesh where you’ll be dropped off at your hotel or the airport. If you want you’ll now have the afternoon to explore the city’s colourful souks and perhaps take a stroll around its celebrated Djemma El Fna Square. A feast for the senses, the square is a wonderful confusion of noise and colour, the perfect place to haggle for some local crafts, or just sit at a cafe and watch the spectacle unfold before you.
TOUBKAL TREK TERMS & CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Please read the following Terms & Conditions of Entry carefully
Event costs and sponsorship
- In return for a secured place on the Event you will need to pay a £150 registration fee.
- In addition, you will be required to raise a minimum of £350 before 21st April 2022, plus the last £200 by the event. This must be reached by these dates in order for you to be able to participate in the event.
- All funds raised in the name of WellChild must be paid to WellChild. You have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received by you for the Event are paid to WellChild promptly.
- Should you have to withdraw, for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible in writing. If cancelling before 31st December 2020 the registration fee will be refunded in full. After this date a refund of the registration fee will be at the discretion of WellChild. All sponsorship forms must be returned to WellChild, and we suggest that you ask any sponsors whose donations have already been collected whether they are happy for their donation to remain with the charity. Should any of your sponsors not wish their donation to remain with the charity, you must arrange for that donation to be returned to them.
General conditions of entry
- You must be 18 years of age or above on the day that the Event commences.
- All participants enter the Event entirely at their own risk and WellChild shall not be liable for any injury or loss that participants suffer as a result of taking part in the event, except where an injury or loss results from the negligence or omissions of WellChild. WellChild is covered by appropriate public liability insurance.
- By entering the Event you confirm that you are aware of the risks involved and the degree of fitness required to take part and agree that you are physically capable of competing in the Event. You are advised to consult your doctor if in any doubt prior to undertaking any exercise programme. You undertake and agree to inform WellChild of any change in your medical condition from the date of registration up to and until the start of the Event. Participants aged 65 years or over, or who have a pre-existing medical condition, may be required to provide a doctor’s certificate stating they have a suitable level of fitness to participate in the Event.
- Personal liability, medical, belongings/equipment or personal accident insurance is not provided by WellChild. You are advised to obtain such insurance yourself if required.
- All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event.
- You must not suffer from alcohol or drug dependency.
- You must ensure you have all the items on the essential kit list
- If at any time it is discovered that any participant should have been ineligible to participate in the Event (or if participation in the Event should have been refused for any reason whatsoever) WellChild reserve the right to disqualify from/refuse entry to such participant to the Event.
- Itineraries, schedule and other arrangement changes may occur, which are beyond the control of WellChild or the safety team.
- During the course of the Event you must fully comply with the instructions of the WellChild staff, safety team, emergency services and/or marshals.
- WellChild may, at its sole discretion, withdraw places on the Event if it is believed to be in its own best interest to do so. WellChild reserves the right to cancel the Event should it be deemed necessary for any reasons outside of its control. In this instance, all donations paid by you will be refunded.
- By taking part in an event, you confirm that you are happy for your name and any footage or photographs taken during your participation in the Event to be used by WellChild to publicise and organise events, and by WellChild generally in promoting the work of the charity. This may include brochures, posters, leaflets, display boards, website and any other such appropriate materials.
- If your personal details (address, contact number etc.) change after you have submitted your application you must notify us immediately. All personal information will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- By participating in the Event you agree to the terms and conditions above and the following disclaimer ‘I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event and will abide by all rules and instructions. I declare that I will not compete in the event unless I am medically fit to do so and that, in any event, I will compete at my own risk. I accept that the organisers (WellChild), sponsors, partners, marshals will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event, unless caused by their negligence or omission.